Michelle Guthrie sacking: Senior ABC executives had threatened to quit, source says

Adjust Comment Print

The major question following the sacking of ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie is why?

The national broadcaster says the board of directors resolved that it was "not in the best interests of the ABC for Ms Guthrie" to continue to lead the organisation.

"That is possibly an area that could have been better".

"In an ideal world, I would like to see our relationship - I think the relationship between the ABC and Government is, on the one hand, hard because of course we need to be independent from government, but it is an important relationship because the government funds us".

"The government thanks Michelle Guthrie and acknowledges her service as managing director of the ABC for the past two and a half years in what is a challenging and rapidly changing media environment".

"No. Look, I don't know and I can't speak on behalf of the rest of the leadership team", he said.

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield said Guthrie's departure was independent from the government, and her replacement would also be independently chosen.

Sally Neighbour, executive producer of 4 Corners, tweeted: "excellent decision". She was sacked by the board, with the decision announced this morning.

ABC board chairman Justin Milne.

Sen. Mitch McConnell Says Senate Will 'Plow Right Through' Kavanaugh Confirmation
In the later call, the lawyer said Ford needed more time to secure her family, prepare her testimony and travel to the capital. Trump has rejected ordering Federal Bureau of Investigation involvement, but he has also called for her to "have her say".

The former Google executive said at no time had her plan to modernise the ABC come under fire, and that she had been effective in delivering on her state goals of shaking up Aunty.

In her statement Guthrie said at no point were issues about the transformation she was leading were raised with her.

Faine had been an outspoken critic of Ms Guthrie - who became managing director in May 2016 - during her tenure.

In an email to staff on Monday afternoon, Mr Anderson said he was honoured at the appointment.

Guthrie, who had been with the broadcaster since 2015, will be replaced by the current director of entertainment and specialist, David Anderson, until a replacement can be found.

"Michelle challenged us in a lot of ways to be better, challenged us to free up more money for content and went about that over the last two-and-a-half years."

"We needed a different leadership style and that is the decision of the board", said Milne.

Deputy Labor leader Tanya Plibersek said she was perplexed by the decision and the board's statements had not clarified it.

Comments